The buildings of Piarists monastery were turned into barracks. The army occupied the monastery until 1840. After this time barracks were formed in part of facilities of former Benedictine fathers monastery. After the collapse of January Uprising Góra Kalwaria became a place where 29th Czernihow Infantry Regiment of general field marshal prince Iwan Dybicz Zabałkański.
For this unit, at the end of 19th century, new buildings were built on the grounds of nonexistent Dominican monastery. The facilities were used by Polish Army until the end of 2001. Barracks at Dominikańska street were built of ceramic brick. They consisted of big, shared rooms. After Polish soldiers took them over, a reconstruction of interiors and plasterwork of elevation were performed.
Góra Kalwaria has got rich military history with 85 years (1916-2001) service of being stationed and life of Polish army units in the town and local barracks. It starts with 1st Artillery Regiment of Polish Legions, which in November 1916 – two years before regaining independency – located here a part of its forces. The regiment was dissolved in autumn 1917 after “oath crisis”.
Since 1918 for the sake of Combat Cavalry Brigade, Battalions of Horse Artillery were formed, from which few has their origins right in Góra Kalwaria. Since 1922 barracks were a residence of Horse Training Centre. These wonderful animals, bought from farmers or studs, were directed here and prepared for missions during warfare times. Let’s remember that a horse was at that time a basic mean of transport in all branches of military services. They were appropriately selected according to strict criteria and was properly trained.
Training Centre followed through in 1924. Next unit that was stationed in Góra Kalwaria was 1st Regiment of Heaviest Artillery which was relocated from Warsaw to local barracks in 1934. The organiser of barracks’ preparation, Regiment relocation and life of unit was Lt Col Jan Dunin-Wąsowicz, who was twice honoured with the Order of Military Virtue. Thanks to his persistency he obtained founds for modernisation barracks and social buildings that function to the present day.
In the post-war period barracks were intended for military units of different organisational subordination. Because of close proximity to Warsaw, units connected with safety of governmental authorities were ensconced here. From 1945 to 1947 1st and 2nd Motorised Regiment of Internal Security Corps, later transformed in 1947 to 1st Brigade, subordinate to ministry of Public Safety and then Home Affairs.
From 1945 to 1947 also Battalion, and then Regiment of Government Security was stationed here. Also Independent Battalion of Railroad Guards, Independent Security Battalion, Convoy Company as well as Penal Company were stationed here. In remembrance of the military that was stationed here, two cannons at the main gate leading to barracks premises were left.
Nowadays, the building has been refurbished in accordance with guidelines of heritage conservationist and the Koszary Arche Hotel and the Kantyna Restaurant are located inside.